The Math Program at Homeschool Connections
As a core subject, math is a crucial component of a well-rounded education, yet teaching it often represents a challenge for parents, particularly at the higher grade levels. With that in mind, we sought a way to help parents teach math without the struggles that often develop. Our solution is a new math program, implemented over the past year at Homeschool Connections. Given the success some of our students have experienced with the program, we’re excited to share it with you.
How It Works
Students attend a once-per-week math class at Homeschool Connections, learning from a skilled teacher and practicing concepts during class time. The teacher provides additional lessons for the students to complete at home, ensuring that they have enough time to master concepts and are well prepared for class the following week. Going forward, we will offer math classes for 5th through 12th grade at every campus. Classes will be taught by two well-qualified teachers, who will provide instruction through precalculus.
After examining numerous math curricula, we settled on Math-U-See. It is not only comprehensive but also lends itself to the flexibility and adaptability we appreciate in our classes. In addition, Math-U-See is reasonably priced, allowing us to keep the cost of education low.
If you choose to enroll your child, you will need to purchase the Student Pack (which is a workbook with lesson by lesson worksheets, review pages and honors pages) as well as the Instruction Pack (which includes the instructions manual, detailed solutions, and the DVD video lessons) Manipulative Block sets and Algebra/Decimal Inserts are helpful but not required. You can get the Instruction Pack used but the Student pack needs to be new. These materials total approximately $90.
How to Participate
If you’re struggling to teach math or aren’t quite sure what to do next, we encourage you to try our new program. Please go on the Math-U-See website and look at the many different math programs available.
Math-U-See has all the components research indicates as essential for students who are struggling in math:
- Explicit instruction: Math-U-See teaches skills for math in a simple, clear manner.
- Systematic and cumulative: Math-U-See introduces concepts in a definite, logical sequence.
- Structured: Math-U-See uses step-by-step procedures for introducing, reviewing, practicing, and mastering concepts.
- Multi-Sensory: Math-U-See engages visual, auditory, and kinesthetic channels simultaneously or in succession.
- Progress Monitoring: Math-U-See uses ongoing progress monitoring with frequent opportunities to re-teach.
Our math program will include the following classes:
- Zeta-decimals, percents and more – approximate grade level 4 to 5
- Epsilon-Fractions – approximate grade level 5 to 7
- Algebra 1
- Algebra 2