Is Homeschooling In Michigan Legal? | Homeschool Connections Michigan
Our mission at Homeschool Connections is to support, encourage and advise parents as they educate their children; to provide a variety of innovative and quality educational opportunities; to help prepare students for their future; and to have a profound impact on the educational society.
Homeschool, Homeschool Connections, Michigan Homeschool, homeschooling in Michigan, Detroit homeschool, homeschooling in Detroit, homeschooling, Christian Homeschool, Homeschool Support, Academic Advising
page-template-default,page,page-id-63809,bridge-core-2.8.3,ctct-bridge,qodef-qi--no-touch,qi-addons-for-elementor-1.4.1,qode-page-transition-enabled,ajax_fade,page_not_loaded,,qode-title-hidden,qode_grid_1300,footer_responsive_adv,qode-content-sidebar-responsive,qode-theme-ver-28.0,qode-theme-bridge,disabled_footer_bottom,wpb-js-composer js-comp-ver-6.7.0,vc_responsive,elementor-default,elementor-kit-67484


homeschooling-in-michigan-legalIs Homeschooling In Michigan Legal?

Are you thinking about homeschooling? Do you wonder,”Is homeschooling in Michigan legal?”

Homeschooling in Michigan is not only a viable choice, it’s legal and not difficult to do!


Here is more information from the State of Michigan.

According to the Homeschooling Legal Defense Association:

Michigan compulsory school attendance age

Michigan law requires that every child who is 6 years old on or before December 1 of the current school year and under 18 must attend school or comply with the homeschool law. Parents are authorized to notify a school district in writing that their child has parental permission to stop attending school (or complying with the homeschool law) as early as the child’s 16th birthday.

Children who turned 11 before December 1, 2009, or who entered 6th grade before 2009 must attend school or comply with the homeschool law until their 16th birthdays.

HSLDA believes that a parent-issued diploma and transcript should be sufficient to demonstrate that a child has completed a secondary education. However, even if your child is beyond compulsory school attendance age, there may be situations where you would want to continue to follow the requirements of a home education option recognized under Michigan law until your child graduates from high school (filing a home education notice, keeping attendance and other records, etc.). These records may be requested in some situations, such as obtaining a driver’s license if your child is a minor, enlisting in the military, applying to colleges, or demonstrating eligibility for Social Security b e n e f i t s .

Withdrawing your child from his or her current school

If you want to start homeschooling during the school year and your child is currently enrolled in a public or private school, HSLDA recommends that you formally withdraw your child from that school. If you are going to start homeschooling after the school year is over, and your child is considered enrolled for the following year, we recommend that you withdraw your child before the next school year begins so that the school does not mark your child as absent or truant.

We invite you to become a member of HSLDA to receive specific advice about withdrawing your child from school and starting to homeschool. Local schools may have specific forms or withdrawal procedures. HSLDA members are eligible to receive individualized advice about whether complying with those procedures is advisable or required. HSLDA members are also eligible to use the sample letter of withdrawal for Michigan available in Member Resources, to correspond with school officials.

We generally recommend that any correspondence with authorities be sent “Certified Mail—Return Receipt Requested.” Keep copies of the withdrawal letter and any other paperwork or correspondence, and any green postal receipts, for your personal records.

Note: If your child has never attended a public or private school, this section does not apply.

Complying with Michigan’s homeschool law

Michigan parents may choose to homeschool under the homeschool statute or as a nonpublic school or both.

Members of HSLDA may contact us with any specific questions about these options—our dedicated legal team can help you understand how the law applies to your situation.

Option 1: Homeschooling under Michigan’s homeschool statute
Parents who are teaching their own children at home under the homeschool statute are required to use an organized educational program covering the subject areas of reading, spelling, mathematics, science, history, civics, literature, writing, and English grammar. The statute does not require parents to notify local government or education authorities that they are homeschooling. The statute specifically notes that parents are authorized to give home instruction. If a nonparent is significantly involved in delivering instruction, contact HSLDA for specific guidance about your situation.

Option 2: Homeschooling as a nonpublic school
To homeschool your children by operating as a nonpublic school, you will need to follow these requirements.

The Importance of Recordkeeping

You can find Michigan’s specific recordkeeping requirements, they are listed above. In addition to those requirements, HSLDA recommends that you keep detailed records of your homeschool program. These records may be helpful if you face an investigation regarding your homeschooling or your student needs to furnish proof of education.

These records should include attendance records, information on the textbooks and workbooks your student used, samples of your student’s schoolwork, correspondence with school officials, portfolios and test results, and any other documents showing that your child is receiving an appropriate education in compliance with the law. You should maintain these records for at least two years. You should keep your student’s high school records and proof of compliance with the home education laws during the high school years (including any type of home education notice that you file with state or local officials) on file forever. HSLDA’s high school webpage has additional information about homeschool record keeping.

Is homeschooling in Michigan legal? Absolutely, yes!

If you’d like to get started with homeschooling or have any questions, feel free to contact us to learn more about our advisory services, classes and all the ways we can help you get started.

Michigan Graduation Guidelines

In order to graduate from High School in Michigan a student must complete:

  • Four credits of English language arts
  • Four credits of math including Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. The Algebra II credit can be covered by equivalent work in a Career Technical Education (CTE) course. The fourth credit can also be covered by CTE.
  • Three credits of social science: U.S. history and geography, World history and geography, and a half-credit each of civics and economics
  • Three credits of science including biology and chemistry, physics, anatomy, agriscience or a CTE credit equivalent of one of those courses. The third science credit can be covered by anyone of the previous courses or a computer science course.
  • One credit of visual, performing or applied art
  • One credit of physical education including a half-credit of health and a half credit of traditional P.E. The half-credit of P.E. can now be covered by “extracurricular activities involving physical activity,” things like sports or marching band.
  • Two credits of a foreign language. One credit of foreign language can now be covered at any time in K-12, the other can be waived for CTE credit or art credit. This change is only written in the law for the graduating classes of 2015-2020, it will then be reviewed for effectiveness.

The full language of the two bills can be found at the Michigan Legislative website
ON THE WEB: Michigan Legislature:
HB 4465 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billenrolled/House/htm/2013-HNB-4465.htm
HB 4466 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billenrolled/House/htm/2013-HNB-4466.htm

(This entry about graduation was posted in Education on July 1, 2014, by Jennifer Weingart. Please check with Michigan.gov regularly for updates. We do not guarantee that this will always be accurate.)