When would a campus cancel classes?
In the case of poor weather conditions that lead to power outages, facility issues, and/or safety issues, a campus may be canceled.
If there is an emergency or safety concern, the campus will be canceled.
If the campus’ local public school district is canceled (not a regularly scheduled day off like MLK Day), then the campus classes may be canceled.
We have updated our Bad Weather Policy to try and limit the number of “snow” days we have, thereby limiting the number of days we have to make up.
If the school district your campus is located in is closed due to bad weather and/or bad road conditions, we will also be closed. We will be listed on the school closing and news websites, you will receive an email, there will be an announcement posted on the Start Page of Orbund, and the closing(s) will be posted on Facebook, and Instagram.
If the school district your campus is in is closed due only to cold weather, we may not be closed. Schools close due to cold weather to keep children safe while waiting for the bus or walking to school. We still want to keep our families safe while traveling to and from campus so we will close if the actual air temperature during campus hours will be sustained at 12 degrees below zero or if the wind chill will be sustained at 30 below zero. If the school district is closed and the temperature is above our cold weather threshold, we will notify you via email, Orbund announcement, Facebook and Instagram by 6:30 am of the day in question.
As always, your safety is our priority. If you feel that it is not safe for you to travel to campus on a day that we are open, please stay home and look for assignments and homework on Orbund, including Fast Five Feedback assessments.
In addition, at times, we may have building issues that cause us to have to cancel. We will always notify you of those via our regular correspondence, as listed above. It is always a good idea to check your email before you leave for campus just to be sure.
Public school districts for each campus are listed here:
- Auburn Hills Campus follows Pontiac School District and Avondale School District
- Clarkston Campus follows Clarkston Community Schools
- Eastside Campus follows Detroit Public Schools Community District
- Rochester Hills Campus follows Rochester Community Schools
- Romeo Campus follows Romeo Community Schools
- Shelby Township Campus follows Utica Community Schools
- Troy Campus follows Troy School District
If you’d like to sign up for email notifications about school closings, a local news station offers these here.
This policy was updated on January 29, 2019. Click here to download a copy of the notice.
How will I know if a campus cancels class?
- You will receive an email. If in doubt about class, check your email!
- News outlets (download the “Click on Detroit” app, watch the news in the morning, listen to the radio, look at local news websites, etc.). Homeschool Connections will specifically be listed along with the specific campus(es).
- Orbund will show campus cancellations in the “News & Announcements” portion at the top of the Start Page.
- Our website, mihomeschoolconnections.com, may have this information posted to the first page and/or the specific campus’ information page.
- We will attempt to post an announcement on our Facebook page, Facebook.com/mihomeschool, as soon as possible.
- Beginning at 8 am, you may call your campus supervisor. Please respect their time as they may be receiving many calls.
If a campus gets closed midday during class hours, how will I know?
- We call parents, so please be certain you have your phone number entered in Orbund on the parent record and on the student record. For those of you with young children, practice with them so that they know your phone number. This helps us to reach you even faster.
- We email parents, so please be sure your email is accurate and up to date in Orbund in your parent account & profile.
- Orbund will have an announcement posted in the “News & Announcements” portion at the top of the Start Page.
- We text, but this is the last resort. But again, if we don’t have a cell number that is correct, we won’t be able to reach you, so make sure your phone number is accurate in Orbund—double check it, please.
Will missed days of class due to campus cancellations need to be made up?
Homeschool Connections does not make up the first missed day at each campus in each semester. Any campus that has more than one missed day will be notified via email and in our newsletter when the makeup day(s) will be scheduled.
UPDATE as of January 29, 2019: We do not make up the first closure of each semester. If we have a second or third closure, they will be made up the weeks of May 13th and 20th. We will not be able to make up days beyond 3 canceled days.
Are our campuses nut-free?
At this time, none of our campuses or lunch zones are nut-free.
What are Michigan’s requirements for graduation?
Michigan Graduation Guidelines
In order to graduate from High School in Michigan a student must complete:
- Four credits of English language arts
- Four credits of math including Algebra I, Geometry and Algebra II. The Algebra II credit can be covered by equivalent work in a Career Technical Education (CTE) course. The fourth credit can also be covered by CTE.
- Three credits of social science: U.S. history and geography, World history and geography, and a half credit each of civics and economics
- Three credits of science including biology and chemistry, physics, anatomy, agriscience or a CTE credit equivalent of one of those courses. The third science credit can be covered by any one of the previous courses or a computer science course.
- One credit of visual, performing or applied art
- One credit of physical education including a half credit of health and a half credit of traditional P.E. The half credit of P.E. can now be covered by “extracurricular activities involving physical activity,” things like sports or marching band.
- Two credits of foreign language. One credit of foreign language can now be covered at any time in K-12, the other can be waived for CTE credit or art credit. This change is only written in the law for the graduating classes of 2015-2020, it will then be reviewed for effectiveness.
The full language of the two bills can be found at the Michigan Legislative website
ON THE WEB: Michigan Legislature:
HB 4465 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billenrolled/House/htm/2013-HNB-4465.htm
HB 4466 http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/2013-2014/billenrolled/House/htm/2013-HNB-4466.htm
This entry was posted in Education on July 1, 2014 by Jennifer Weingart. Please check with Michigan.gov regularly for updates. We do not guarantee that this will always be accurate.
What fees will SOARCE pay for?
You will need to talk with a SOARCE representative. Click here to be directed to their contact information.
How do I log into Orbund?
Orbund is our online system for communication between students, parents, and instructors.
Go to hc.orbund.com. Or copy and paste https://hc.orbund.com into your browser search bar.
You should have received an email with your login information. If you have not, please email help@MIHomeschoolConnections.com.
You and your child will have separate logins.
Make sure you type in both your username and password correctly before contacting Carrie for help.
Also, make sure you select “Parent” or “Student” appropriately. Each time, the dropdown will default to “Instructor”.
How do I register for classes?
Necessary steps to be able to register:
How to register:
How do I find the Start Page?
The Start Page is the first screen you will see after logging in.
If you need to go back to the Start Page, click on “Start Page” on the top left column. It is in white text with a blue background.
On the Start Page, you will find News & Announcements. These are very important to read. Click on the blue text to read the announcements.
The grey boxes underneath the News & Announcements are called widgets. The boxes include messages, upcoming events, and assignments due. Which widgets are shown will be different for students and parents.
Assignments will only show when your student has assignments to do! Fast Five Feedback is not an assignment. To learn more about Fast Five Feedback, refer to the “How do I find Fast Five Feedback?” dropdown.
How do I read my messages in Orbund?
After you log into Orbund, you may find a notification about having unread messages under “News & Announcements”. You need to read these as this is how teachers communicate with parents and students!
Messages will also be listed in the “Messages” widget on the Start Page.
To read the message, click on the “new messages” in blue text, the name of the message in the widget, or “Messages” under “Communication” in the left sidebar.
Here is an example of what the messages page will look like:
On the right, the “Status” column indicates whether you have read the message or that it is new.
To delete read messages, click the box to the left of the date of the message. A checkmark will appear. Then, in the “Move to” dropdown box, choose “Trash”. Then click “Move”. The message will instantly be moved to your trash folder (similar to an email inbox).
To move messages back into your inbox, choose “Trash” from the dropdown menu next to “Messages/Folder”.
Your deleted messages will appear. Check the box next to the message you’d like to move to your inbox. Select “Move” to move the messages. They will instantly move to your inbox.
How do I contact or message a teacher?
Messaging your teacher through Orbund is the best way to communicate with them.
In the menu sidebar on the far left, click on “Communication”. Options will appear underneath:
Click on “Messages”. Then on the far right side, click on “New Message” (circled in red below).
Next, it is time to select the recipient(s).
Click on the appropriate category of your intended recipient. For this example, we will email a campus supervisor, Jessica Thompson. Start with clicking “Add Staff” because campus supervisors are staff members. (Note: if you have an emergency, call your supervisor. Contact information is found here.)
Names are organized by last name. To save time, you can click on the appropriate letter. For Jessica Thompson, click “T”.
To insert her email, click the box to the left of her name. When a checkmark appears, then click “Add”. If you’d like to add more recipients, find their name and continue check the box then clicking “Add” after each one. When you’re done select “Close”.
Fill in an appropriate subject into the subject line.
Enter the message you’d like to send. You may attach a file, if needed, by clicking “Upload File”.
When finished, select “Send Message”.
How do I check my child’s attendance?
You may check your child’s attendance with either your parent login or your child’s login.
In the menu sidebar on the far left, click “Attendance”, then “Attendance Records”.
When your child’s attendance appears, make sure you double check the settings in the dropdowns along the top. Check the student’s name, the semester, and the class to match what you are looking for.
Scroll down on the webpage to see more.
Use the key along the top to understand your child’s attendance record. This example used a test student so very little information is available. Your child’s information will be more extensive as the semester progresses.
How do I check my grades or my child’s grades?
Where can I find my bill?
First, log into Orbund with your parent login.
Then in the menu sidebar on the far left, click on “Finance”. Then click “Payment & Invoice”.
This is an example of what should appear:
Always double check that the correct semester and payment plan are chosen. To see an expanded view or breakdown of you bill, click the plus sign next to your student’s name. An expanded, itemized list will appear. For example:
Payments by check may be mailed to:
Homeschool Connections Educational Services, LLC
2685 Lapeer Rd.
Auburn Hills, MI 48326
You may also make payments via credit card or online check within Orbund.
We understand that families with multiple children in the program may need to arrange a payment plan. Please contact our financial services office to set one up. They can be reached at email@example.com.
On my iPad, how do I view my child’s schedule in Orbund?
Where can I find my schedule or my child’s schedule?
Students can find their schedule the same way as parents (outlined below), but will not be able to see anyone else’s schedule.
To find your child’s schedule, click “Enrollment & Schedules” in the far left menu sidebar. The choose “Class Schedules”. If you see the message “No schedules found.”, make sure the correct student and semester are chosen. “Winter 2019” is the system’s default.
After you have chosen the correct student and semester, you should see your child’s schedule.
The classes above are test classes for demonstration. Looking at your schedule, the class code is listed, followed by the location in parentheses. You can find the full name of the class by looking up the code in our course descriptions.
(There is a shortcut of this: if you hit “Crtl” and “F”, a search bar will open at the top of your web browser. Type the code in the search box. This will find & highlight the code! Click the “x” or exit button to close this search bar.)
For class locations, abbreviations are used for each campus:
- AH = Auburn Hills
- CL = Clarkston
- ES = Eastside
- RH = Rochester Hills
- RM = Romeo
- ST = Shelby Township
- TR = Troy
After the campus abbreviation, the room is listed.
How do I send my schedule to SOARCE?
If your students are SOARCE-funded, you must turn a copy of your schedule into SOARCE. Referencing your schedule in Orbund, write down the course codes and look them up in our class descriptions. For more information on how to do this, read the “Where can I find my schedule or my child’s schedule?” information.
Write the course names and times and send them to SOARCE.
Where do I find the Enrollment Agreement?
This is required for ALL families, even returning families!
Using your parent login, this form is found in Orbund. Then under “Reference” (on the left side), then “Forms” (on the left side). Then choose (on the far right side) “New Enrollment Agreement”.
Remember to click “Submit Form” at the end. This sends us your agreement form. If you do not, we will not receive it!
Why do I need to fill out my child’s student profile?
There are many important fields, such as emails, funding type, and cellphone numbers, that need filled in.
If there is an emergency, we need your (the parent or guardian’s) cellphone number in Orbund! This is where we look for critical contact information!
In order to receive notifications from Homeschool Connections, your email must be entered in correctly.
A critical field in the profile is the funding type. Selecting the funding type determines whether your information will be shared with SOARCE. If you are self pay, this will keep your information from going to SOARCE. If you are SOARCE funded, for any classes at all, then select SOARCE and this will ensure that your information will be shared.
Always click “Save”.
Where do I find the Behavior Agreement Form?
This is required for each student, even returning students!
Using your student login, this form is found in Orbund. Then under “Reference” (on the left side), then “Forms” (on the left side). Then choose (on the right side) “New Behavior-Agreement”.
Where do I update my child’s account & profile?
Using your student login, this form is found in Orbund. On the Start Page, you will see “Account & Profile” listed on the far right side of the page. Click “Account & Profile”.
Fill in all of the information fields, continuing through each tab across the top. Click “Save” as you finish each tab! It doesn’t hurt to return to each tab to make sure your answers are still there.
There are many important fields, such as email, cellphone, and funding type, that need filled in. A critical field in the profile is the funding type. Selecting the funding type determines whether your information will be shared with SOARCE. If you are self pay, this will keep your information from going to SOARCE. If you are SOARCE funded, then this will ensure that your information will be shared.
What is the Fast Five Feedback?
This is Homeschool Connections’ new, online, weekly component that will be implemented in every class as a type of “homework.”
- It will be 5 questions that teachers have created based on the weekly lesson. The questions/answers are to be related specifically to that particular week’s topic/lesson. It can be thought of as a review-at-home exercise for the students.
- Questions will be in the format of (a) Yes/No, (b) True/False, (c) Multiple Choice, and (d) Short Answer. This assignment should take a maximum of 5 minutes for students.
Purpose of the Fast Five Feedback
We are incorporating this measurable instrument as part of our routine for students and teachers because of its many benefits:
- Weaving together different parts of the course and approaching content with varied tools helps students integrate what they learn and develop a deeper understanding of the material.
- FAST FIVE helps students establish learning points.
- In a classroom, students are sometimes swamped by the details of the immediate experience, and need help to extract general principles from a concrete experience. Doing FAST FIVE at home during the week will help them “unpack” their classroom experience in a more concrete way.
- Teachers will be able to use the information gathered from students to affirm that what they are teaching is reaching your students’ minds. It will also reveal any students who are struggling and perhaps need a little more differentiation in the classroom.
- “Bridging” and “Reviewing” are powerful teaching strategies and FAST FIVE helps develop specific skills being taught in the classroom.
- This is a self-assessment for students to discover if they are actually “plugged in” to the class lesson.
- When parents are with students when doing FAST FIVE, you will see more exactly what your child is learning in their classes and then perhaps reiterate those lessons in creative ways at home.
- This is an objective piece of courses that will be entered into the gradebook.
- Most school programs, public and private, have online components in their routine. Technology is a “first language” for today’s students. We must keep our students tech-relevant, and we can do this by providing them meaningful questions to review and recall their previous week’s lessons. Practice makes perfect in memory recall.
- For SOARCE funded students, this online component will satisfy SOARCE’s Count Day and will replace Study Island and other question/answer dialog between students and SOARCE in years past. Your payment method is private information that is not shared with our teachers.
Where do I find my child’s Fast Five Feedback?
Word of Caution: ALWAYS BE SURE TO LOOK FOR FALL SEMESTER!!!!
Log into the student’s Orbund account.
Take note of the Student’s Start Page. The window below shows the left side menu. Click on Classes (circled in Red). You will see a list of ALL classes, including Fall and Winter. Be sure to look for the “Fall 2018” in bold (circled in Blue) and select a class below that.
Click on the desired class and this window will appear, or something like it with YOUR student’s class information.
Click on Fall Week 01 (or the appropriate folder used to differentiate Week 1) and the information for that week will drop down.
Your student’s may look a little different, but you will see “Assessments” (in pink) and you will want to click on Fast Five Feedback (red arrow) which will change to a link when you hover over it.
You will then see the following window where the student is given the information about the Fast Five Feedback. The Student clicks on “Start Exam” (circled in red).
This screen will appear. Click “Yes” (in red) if you are ready to proceed and “Cancel” (blue) if you are not.
After your last question, click Save (red) then Finish (blue).
After clicking Submit, you will be directed to a window that shows how many attempts you have left.
You can try again or be done. The student’s score does not show at the end of the assessment. To see what they score they earned, please see the student’s progress report, and look for the Fast Five score for the correct week.
Where do I update my parent account & profile?
Using your parent login, this form is found in Orbund.
In the menu sidebar on the far left, click “Setup”. Then choose “Account & Profile”.
Fill in all of the information fields on the General Info tab. It is imperative that you fill in your cell phone number.
Remember: Click “Save” when you finish!