When would a campus cancel classes?
In the case of poor weather conditions that lead to power outages, facility issues, and/or safety issues, a campus may be canceled.
If there is an emergency or safety concern, the campus will be canceled.
If the campus’ local public school district is canceled (not a regularly scheduled day off like MLK Day), then the campus classes may be canceled.
We have updated our Bad Weather Policy to try and limit the number of “snow” days we have, thereby limiting the number of days we have to make up.
If the school district your campus is located in is closed due to bad weather and/or bad road conditions, we will also be closed. We will be listed on the school closing and news websites, you will receive an email, there will be an announcement posted on the Start Page of Orbund, and the closing(s) will be posted on Facebook, and Instagram.
If the school district your campus is in is closed due only to cold weather, we may not be closed. Schools close due to cold weather to keep children safe while waiting for the bus or walking to school. We still want to keep our families safe while traveling to and from campus so we will close if the actual air temperature during campus hours will be sustained at 12 degrees below zero or if the wind chill will be sustained at 30 below zero. If the school district is closed and the temperature is above our cold weather threshold, we will notify you via email, Orbund announcement, Facebook and Instagram by 6:30 am of the day in question.
As always, your safety is our priority. If you feel that it is not safe for you to travel to campus on a day that we are open, please stay home and look for assignments and homework on Orbund, including Fast Five Feedback assessments.
In addition, at times, we may have building issues that cause us to have to cancel. We will always notify you of those via our regular correspondence, as listed above. It is always a good idea to check your email before you leave for campus just to be sure.
Public school districts for each campus are listed here:
- Auburn Hills Campus follows Pontiac School District and Avondale School District
- Clarkston Campus follows Clarkston Community Schools
- Eastside Campus follows Detroit Public Schools Community District
- Rochester Hills Campus follows Rochester Community Schools
- Romeo Campus follows Romeo Community Schools
- Shelby Township Campus follows Utica Community Schools
- Troy Campus follows Troy School District
If you’d like to sign up for email notifications about school closings, a local news station offers these here.
This policy was updated on January 29, 2019. Click here to download a copy of the notice.
How will I know if a campus cancels class?
- You will receive an email. If in doubt about class, check your email!
- News outlets (download the “Click on Detroit” app, watch the news in the morning, listen to the radio, look at local news websites, etc.). Homeschool Connections will specifically be listed along with the specific campus(es).
- Orbund will show campus cancellations in the “News & Announcements” portion at the top of the Start Page.
- Our website, mihomeschoolconnections.com, may have this information posted to the first page and/or the specific campus’ information page.
- We will attempt to post an announcement on our Facebook page, Facebook.com/mihomeschool, as soon as possible.
- Beginning at 8 am, you may call your campus supervisor. Please respect their time as they may be receiving many calls.
If a campus gets closed midday during class hours, how will I know?
- We call parents, so please be certain you have your phone number entered in Orbund on the parent record and on the student record. For those of you with young children, practice with them so that they know your phone number. This helps us to reach you even faster.
- We email parents, so please be sure your email is accurate and up to date in Orbund in your parent account & profile.
- Orbund will have an announcement posted in the “News & Announcements” portion at the top of the Start Page.
- We text, but this is the last resort. But again, if we don’t have a cell number that is correct, we won’t be able to reach you, so make sure your phone number is accurate in Orbund—double check it, please.
Will missed days of class due to campus cancellations need to be made up?
Homeschool Connections does not make up the first missed day at each campus in each semester. Any campus that has more than one missed day will be notified via email and in our newsletter when the makeup day(s) will be scheduled.
UPDATE as of January 29, 2019: We do not make up the first closure of each semester. If we have a second or third closure, they will be made up the weeks of May 13th and 20th. We will not be able to make up days beyond 3 canceled days.